Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hallowe'en Poems and Poets Graves

A seasonal touch here on poets.org - Vampire poems, Hallowe'en poems, lists of poets' burial places, poems about the underworld etc.

The burial places list is mostly American, this Poets' Graves site is more comprehensive and even lists four Irish poets, Louis MacNeice, Carrowdore, Co. Down, Jonathan Swift, Dublin, Gerald Manley Hopkins; Dublin (Glasnevin) and W.B. Yeats, Drumcliff, Co. Sligo.

On Thursday I visited Swift's resting place in St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin and tomorrow or Tuesday I hope to say hello to fellow Sligo poet at Drumcliff.

I finally found Raftery's grave near Craughwell on the recent trip to Galway. It's not signposted and easy to miss. His fellow poets and competitors, the Callanan brothers, are buried in the same graveyard.

3 comments:

Peter Goulding said...

I think Gerard Manley Hopkins is in Glasnevin...

Michael Farry said...

Yes he's in the Jesuit plot there.

ELAINE FOX said...

Hello my Mother was called Aileen Farry her sister was called Delia their father was known as Patrick Farry and was a Joiner and Local undertaker and died when they were very young in the earlier 1920's. They lived in Balimote and Sligo I just typed in Farry which was my mother's maiden name. She is not with us any more and never talked about her roots in Ireland and this is just the beginning of my search. Are you in anyway related to them