Saturday, April 25, 2009

Bob Dylan - Together Through Life

Got the new Bob Dylan album, Together Through Life, today from iTunes. Need to listen to it a number of times before you can make any judgement on it but it doesn't seem as strong as the recent albums. The voice is the same though, rough and time-worn is the kindest thing you can say about it. His current European tour reaches Britain tonight and he's in Dublin the week after next. I'm seeing three of his concerts in the next two weeks.

Some of the lyrics from the album track I Feel a Change Coming On

"Well now what's the use in dreamin
you got better things to do
dreams never did work for me anyway
even when they did come true

I'm a-listening to Billy Joe Shaver
And I'm reading James Joyce
Some people they tell me
I've got the blood of the land in my voice

Everybody got all the money
Everybody got all the beautiful clothes
Everybody got all the flowers
I don't have one single rose
I feel a change comin' on
and the fourth part of the day's already gone."

Review at the Telegraph here. Independent here. Irish Times here.

No comments: