Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chagall Museum


Back to Nice, France again. I took the opportunity to visit the Musee Marc Chagall. This celebrated Russian-born artist (1887-1985) spent the last years of his life near Nice and the museum contains a large collection of his work particularly the series based on Bible stories.

I must admit I was not very familiar with his work and the paintings made a great impression. The fantastic (in its real meaning) use of colour and composition to create images which are both dreamlike and realistic. You can see the influence of cubism, surrealism and fauvism but his paintings never seem to fit into any of those categories.

Above is his painting of the Creation of Adam and below his painting of Abraham and the Angels

More about Marc Chagall here and here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in sixth grade and I am studying Michael Chagall and I think he is an amazing art I thought the most interesting part was of your essay was he was a Russian artist I never knew that. But, thanks for your help on my project. :)