Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sean MacDiarmada Summer School


It's ten years since I last did any history research or writing. Neither have I been giving any talks on my special history subject The War of Independence and Civil War in County Sligo 1914-1923. I was surprised recently to be asked to give a talk at the Sean MacDiarmada Summer School in Kiltyclogher, Co Leitrim in mid-June.

I thought about it for a while then agreed. I decided to do a talk (a paper/ a presentation/ a lecture?) on the change of allegiance within County Sligo from 1914 when the Irish Party was in control to 1918 when Sinn Féin took over. It fits in well with the "Challenging Authority" theme.

Not having been on the history circuit it's not as easy as it might sound. I'm struggling with the sixth or seventh draft trying to judge length, audience expectation and interest even the tone to adopt. Anyway I have a script that should take about 30 minutes to deliver and a Powerpoint to provide focus or distraction.

I intend to start with a remark about "coming out of retirement" - a blatant effort to get the audience's sympathy. The other speakers are all currently working in universities delivering brilliant lectures every day to enthusiastic students.

No comments: