Friday, July 3, 2009

The Swift Battle is almost upon us!

Trim Swift Festival was officially launched last evening by Minister Noel Dempsey whose brainchild the festival is. Some very good speeches at the event especially from the academics - Jonathan Swift is the greatest Irish writer? You can't beat an enthusiastic academic to make a interesting, riveting speech without notes. A lot of talk about satire and I began to worry about the satire I have written for the satire contest on Sunday night. Is it actually satire? I'm having another look at it and see if I can improve the quality of its satire.

The contest, dubbed The Battle of the Books, between our group, Boyne Writers and Meath Writers Circle takes place on Sunday evening in the Trim Castle Hotel during the Swift Cabaret Evening. The two captains above in a photo for the press, Tommy Murray, captain of what Paddy has been calling the Meath WC, and myself. Article in the Meath Chronicle here.

I'm attending the Festival lectures today. Retirement is great!

No comments: