Monday, March 23, 2009

My Primrose


My primrose has appeared again. Lots of daffodils and crocus showing off, tulips and bluebells on the way but the appearance of the single primrose is an event.

I bought seed from the well known suppliers, Barnhaven Primroses, sowed it and waited. Primroses are not easy to grow from seed and nothing appeared for a few years. Then last year there it was - a primrose. This year in fact I have two primroses, another has appeared. Something very reserved, shy, fragile about the primrose, possibly to do with that pale shade of yellow.

A number of good poems about primroses also including ones by Coleridge, Donne and Kavanagh. Mention of Kavanagh reminds me that the annual poetry weekend organised by the Patrick Kavanagh Centre in Inniskeen, Monaghan takes place from Friday, 24th to Sunday, 26th April 2009.

No comments: