Sunday, June 27, 2010

Manchester Cathedral International Religious Poetry Competition

Closing date for the Manchester Cathedral International Religious Poetry Competition is 30 June. Last year over 370 people sent in over 900 poems.

No online entry so you have to get a sterling draft or similar. I emailed them last year and asked if they would accept a sterling note. They said no.

I got a postal order on Friday week last in Derrylin in Fermanagh on my way to Kiltyclogher so I'm entering again this year. Maybe even the same poems as last year because there is a different judge. Irish poet John McAuliffe judged last year and this year Irish poet Vona Groarke is the judge. She is a lecturer at the University of Manchester Centre. Her poetry collections include Shale (1994), Other People's Houses (1999) and Flight (2002).

It's difficult to say what a religious poem is especially when you read the details on the application form:

The poems submitted should be ‘broadly religious,’ that is, ‘spiritual’ in nature and, like all good religious poetry, appeal to those who would not necessarily describe themselves as such. ‘Religious’ thus includes poems that are Christian, as well as those from within other faith traditions. Those struggling to discover their own sense of the sacred are also invited to submit entries. Poems are welcome in any style or form and will be judged solely on their merits as poetry.

I have a feeling that my poems are too religious for this competition but anyway I'll give it one more go. If I get nothing this time that's me finished with religion!!

2 comments:

MichaelSheils said...

God, Mick you'll tell a great one when you're 90!

Anonymous said...

Your Good even when you are 90!